Unfunded or Bounced cheques in 2023

Unfunded (Bounced) cheques, also known as NSF cheques, are a type of payment that is returned to the payee by the bank due to insufficient funds. Bouncing a cheque is considered a civil matter, and the payee may sue the drawer for the amount of the cheque plus any associated fees. In some jurisdictions, bouncing a cheque may also be considered a criminal offense. If you are considering bouncing a cheque, it is important to weigh the risks and benefits carefully.

Tell us your story!

Bouncing a cheque can damage your reputation and relationships, and you may end up paying more in legal fees than the amount of the cheque. On the other hand, if you have genuine financial difficulties, bouncing a cheque may be your best option. Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to bounce a cheque is a personal one.

Bounced cheques: New Interpol CCF Decision

Normally, decisions made by the Commission for the Control of INTERPOL’s Files (“CCF”) are private and not intended for public release. To offer information about its operations and compliance with its statute, the CCF will periodically publish an anonymous judgment. These choices typically address a current issue and might be said to be in the interest of the general public.

One such subject is whether or not INTERPOL should be utilized to pursue people in connection with returned checks. Unlucky people are still having their lives negatively impacted by this issue, which the Interpol attorneys team previously wrote about.

What were the issues in the decision?

The decision that was made public included an applicant who had received a Red Notice for writing a check that was not financed. The following request for the erasure of his personal data was made by the applicant on the grounds that:

  • The dispute is civil in nature, and
  • For the purposes of international police cooperation, the case is uninteresting.

What were the factors considered?

The applicant stated that after receiving a loan during his former position, he had met honest difficulty to satisfy the financial commitments. He further stated that he had no intention of writing an unfunded check.

The applicant expressed a readiness to assist and carry out this duty. The Red Notice had adverse effects that the Applicant had to deal with.

The NCB claimed that in the situation of unpaid checks, no particular intent is necessary; simply issuing the check while being aware that there is insufficient cash is sufficient.

What were the findings of the Commission for the Control of INTERPOL’s Files?

The Commission noted that:

  • Despite the minimal requirement having been met, the interest in fostering international police cooperation must be evaluated, among other things, in light of the data’s nature and the extent to which NCBs may utilize it for extradition reasons;
  • According to the Court’s ruling, several laws regard the mere act of writing an unfunded check to be criminal conduct with intent;
  • However, in order to cooperate through INTERPOL’s channels, one must follow the rules, which include restricting the use of Red Notices for use in cases of common crime;
  • The majority of Member Countries do not consider the act of a bounced check to be criminal;
  • In addition, many national systems rarely recognize the offense as a crime and an extraditable offense;
  • In the case of the Applicant, the Commission expressed strong concern that the information in the Applicant’s file might not be relevant for the purposes of international police cooperation and that the act of issuing an unfunded check alone does not constitute a “serious ordinary law crime” in cases where criminal intent has not been proven;
  • In this situation, the applicant’s data must be erased because it does not follow INTERPOL’s guidelines for data processing.

The above decision’s disclosure does not appear to have served as a deterrent to those who have used INTERPOL to pursue others in comparable situations.

The aforementioned ruling, however, at least offers optimism that INTERPOL is cognizant of how, in some situations, its use for such objectives is in violation of its own guidelines. Hopefully, the decision release will also be perceived as at least an awareness of the necessity for making this decision-making more transparent.

Expert legal counsel is advised if you are dealing with the aforementioned problems. The aforementioned ruling and the Commission for the Control of INTERPOL’s Files (CCF) conclusions could undoubtedly strengthen any submissions to INTERPOL.

Bounced cheques, a criminal offense in several countries

Bounced cheques, also known as rubber cheques, are a serious problem in many countries. In some places, they are even considered a criminal offense. Bounced cheques occur when someone writes a cheque for an amount of money that they do not have in their account. This can happen for a variety of reasons, but it often occurs when people are trying to defraud others. Bounced cheques can cause a lot of financial problems for both the person who wrote the cheque and the person who received it. They can also lead to jail time in some countries. As a result, it is important to be very careful when writing cheques and to make sure that there is enough money in your account to cover them.

Bounced cheques, in many cases just a civil matter

Bounced cheques, in many cases just a civil matter. Bounced cheques are often caused by insufficient funds in the account, which can happen for various reasons such as an unexpected withdrawal or a miscalculation when making payments. In some cases, the cheque may be returned due to fraud or forgery. However, regardless of the reason, if a cheque is returned, it is important to take action immediately. The first step is to contact the payee to explain the situation and arrange for an alternative payment. If the payee is not willing to work with you, you may need to take legal action. Bounced cheques are considered a civil matter, and as such, you will need to file a lawsuit in order to receive compensation. However, before taking any action, it is important to speak with an attorney to ensure that you have a strong case.

Bounced cheques, a red notice is a common practice

A bounced cheque, also known as a rubber cheque, is a cheque that is returned by a bank because there are insufficient funds in the account to cover the amount of the cheque. A red notice is a warning issued by Interpol to its member states that an individual or group is wanted by the country of origin for a serious crime. The diffusion of both of these practices has resulted in greater awareness of the potential consequences of issuing a cheque without sufficient funds to cover it, as well as the possibility of being placed on an international wanted list. As a result, these practices have been effective in deterring people from engaging in criminal activity.

Bounced cheques, no Interpol notice in a civil matter

Bounced cheques can often be a problem in civil matters, as they can result in the diffusion of the notice to Interpol. This can often be prevented by converting the notice into a red notice, which is more likely to be heeded by banks and other institutions. In addition, it is important to remember that a civil matter is not a criminal matter, and diffusing the notice to Interpol may not be warranted in all cases. If you have any questions about whether or not diffusion is appropriate in your case, you should consult with an experienced attorney.

Bounced cheques, worldwide assistance Interpol Law Firm

Bounced cheques are a serious matter. If you have received a bounced cheque, you should contact a lawyer as soon as possible. The lawyers at Interpol Law Firm have experience handling bounced cheque cases, and they can help you recover the money you are owed. They will also work with you to determine if the person who wrote the cheque is criminally liable. In some cases, bounced cheques are written with the intention of defrauding the recipient. If this is the case, you may be able to file a police report. The lawyers at Interpol Law Firm can assist you with this process. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.

Kendall Coffey
Senior Partner
Mr. Coffey is a former U.S. Attorney, Southern District of Florida (1993-1996); and served as Chair of, the Southern District Conference, Florida Federal Judicial Nominating Commission (April 2009 – January 2017).

Unfunded Bounced Cheques FAQ

What is the punishment if the cheque is bounced?
The dishonor of a check is a criminal offense under Section 138 of the Act, and is punishable by up to two years in prison, a fine, or both. The drawer should be offered the opportunity to quickly pay back the amount of the check if the payee chooses to proceed legally.
How long is jail time for bounced cheque?
2 years. In India and UAE, bouncing a check is a crime that carries a sentence of up to two years in prison and a fine equal to twice the value of the dishonored check.
Is cheque bounce a criminal offence in UAE?
Cheque bounces are considered misdemeanors (criminal offenses) in the UAE and are subject to jail time, fines, or both. Due to the UAE's vast corporate operations, check bounce cases are frequent there.
How to solve cheque bounce case in Dubai?
In Dubai, there are two ways that a person might report a bounced check to the police. The first approach is physically going to a police station, and the second option entails submitting an online police report.
whatsup Viber Telegram E-mail
Book a call
Your message send!